As a parent and entrepreneur, finding the right balance between these two important areas of your life can seem like an impossible feat.
You want to be the best parent possible while also building a successful business — but how can you do both without sacrificing one for the other? You want to make it to the little league game and get all your orders in by the end of week.
Fear not, fellow do-it-all people! There are things you can do to help you balance parenthood and entrepreneurship to become the ultimate parentpreneur.
Set Realistic Expectations
Let’s face it, you're already a superhero for managing both parenting and entrepreneurship at the same time — but even superheroes have limits, so it's important to set realistic expectations for yourself.
Here are some tips to help you do just that:
- Remember that you can't do everything at once, and that's okay. You're not Wonder Woman or Superman, even though sometimes it may feel like it. It's okay to take a break and recharge your batteries.
- Imagine you're on a rollercoaster ride, and you have to decide which way to go. Should you focus on the steep drops and loops of your business, or the slower, scenic parts of your family life? It's up to you to decide what's most important and adjust your priorities accordingly.
- Just like a rollercoaster ride, achieving big goals can be exhilarating, but also scary and overwhelming. By breaking them down into smaller, more manageable steps, you can enjoy the ride and celebrate your progress along the way.
- Even superheroes make mistakes sometimes, but they don't let them define them. If you hit a bump in the road, don't worry. Just put on your cape and keep flying!
By focusing on these items, you’re setting yourself, your family, and your business up for success.
Prioritize Your Time
As a parentpreneur, you're a master of juggling many things at once — including your time! But with so much to do, it's easy to get overwhelmed.
Here’s how you can prioritize your time so things don’t feel like there piling on:
- Use a planner or calendar to schedule your time. Whether it's a physical planner or a digital calendar, having a visual representation of your schedule can help you stay organized and on track (seriously, these are life savers!).
- Make sure you're making time for both your family and your business. It can be tempting to spend all your time and energy on one thing, but be done when you said you’d be done and move on to the other portion of your day.
- Be realistic about what you can achieve in a day. Prioritize the most important tasks and tackle those first. And if you don't get to everything on your list, don't beat yourself up. There's always tomorrow!
- Life as a parentpreneur can be unpredictable, and sometimes you'll need to make last-minute changes to your schedule. Don't stress about it — just be willing to adjust and go with the flow.
Time management is key to maintaining work/life balance. It also breaks things down so things don’t feel so overwhelming. You’ll feel much better when you have everything laid out in front of you.
I know, you're used to being a jack-of-all-trades. But sometimes, you need to let others help you out! I can’t stress this enough — you don’t have to do everything yourself!
Here are some tips to help you delegate tasks:
- Outsource work for your business. Whether it's hiring a virtual assistant, a social media manager, or a web designer, outsourcing can help you free up some of your time and focus on what you do best.
- Ask your partner or family members for help with the kids. Sometimes, all you need is a little help from your loved ones.
- Be clear about what you need help with. Communication is key when delegating tasks. Make sure you're clear about what you need help with, when you need it, and what your expectations are.
- Let go of the need for control. It can be hard to relinquish control, especially when it comes to your business or your kids. But remember, others are capable of helping you. Trust that they will do a good job and allow yourself to let go of the reins.
By delegating tasks, you can avoid unnecessary burnout. So don't be afraid to ask for help and let others lend a hand. You might be surprised at how much easier it makes your life!
Take Care of Yourself
Life can get stressful, so it's important to take care of yourself.
Here’s how you can prioritize self-care:
- Just like you schedule time for your business and your family, make sure you're scheduling time for yourself. Whether it's 30 minutes a day or a few hours a week, make sure you're taking time for yourself to recharge and relax.
- Exercise is a great way to relieve stress and boost your mood. Whether it's going for a run, hitting the gym, or dancing around your living room, make sure you're getting some form of physical activity each day.
- Treat yourself — you deserve it! Whether it's buying yourself a new outfit, getting a massage, or indulging in your favorite dessert, don't be afraid to treat yourself every once in a while.
- Meditation, deep breathing, and other mindfulness practices can help you feel more centered and calm. Take a few minutes each day to focus on your breath and clear your mind.
- Unplug and take a break from technology every once in a while. Whether it's turning off your phone for an hour or taking a social media detox for a day, make sure you're giving yourself a break from screens.
Remember, taking care of yourself isn't selfish — it's necessary. By giving yourself a little you time, you'll be better equipped to handle the demands of parenthood and entrepreneurship.
It can sometimes feel like you're constantly juggling different responsibilities — but take time to be present in the moment and give your full attention to whatever you're doing.
Here are some tips to help you stay focused and present:
- When you're spending time with your family, put away your phone and give them your full attention. The emails and notifications can wait — your family deserves your undivided attention.
- Practice mindfulness which is all about being fully present in the moment. Whether you're playing with your kids or working on a project, try to focus all of your attention on the task at hand.
- It can be tempting to work all hours of the day and night, but it's important to set boundaries and carve out time for your family.
- When you're working, take regular breaks to stretch, go for a walk, or just clear your head. This will help you stay focused and avoid burnout.
It's easy to feel guilty when you're not fully present — but it's good to remember that nobody is perfect. If you find yourself getting distracted, simply take a deep breath, refocus your attention and don't beat yourself up.
Living out big dreams can be challenging — but not impossible.
By setting realistic expectations, prioritizing your time, delegating tasks, taking care of yourself, and being present in each moment, you can successfully balance parenthood and entrepreneurship and become the ultimate parentpreneur.
So go ahead, go for your goals, and be the best version of yourself that you can be — in your home life and in your business ventures!